Lompat ke konten Lompat ke sidebar Lompat ke footer

Profoto's C1 Line: Who Are They Targeting?

As you can potential assure from my recent posts, I'm a user and big fan of Profoto. I recognize their products are big-ticket, but they work. In real world, they ne'er let me down. As you can likely tell from my responses to comments in those same articles, I'm a defender of their product and their business sector model. But, today I'm confused. The young C1s aren't really where I saw Profoto them headed. The C1s aren't truly for photography professionals. Or are they? To answer this, you'd cause to first specify what professional and photography is. After all, SLRs were, at least at one time, for amateurs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBsRboLEEyk

First, a Brief Word on Influencers

Profoto's release materials note that they

 . . . are committed to enabling impassioned image creators about the world to bring groovy sandy to all double. And now, with the C1 rove, that's possible no matter what typewrite of camera you're using.

Again, I in truth cerebrate that we need to define some of these quarrel before we obtain too far into this conversation. It'd be best if we pot all Be on the same page. Mercantile photographers, by the very nature of the advertising industry, are pick a need when they shoot. If there is a market need for influencer-type photographers, aren't they also commercial photographers?

Look, I personally don't get IT. Perhaps I just can't ensure information technology, simply to ME influencers are so improbably artificial. I realize I'm painting with a broad brush hither, but we've seen again and again how the influencer cultivation tush be manipulated and, frankly, made a laughing gillyflower – see Fyre, Palessi, and Moon rock musi. Influencers seem to be out for the biggest payday and, worsened, the most paydays. I've scrolled through feeds that admit five or half-dozen shampoo placements from contrary manufacturers within a some years of for each one other. I just lav't see how this lack of steel commitment sells. I don't wish that influencers often use their children to sell without prissy regulatory oversight. I too don't the likes of that influencers are only too often unclear about what is an ad and what ISN't. I'd love to see a clamp down related to child DoL laws and trade communications.

But, no of this changes the fact that companies and their marketers are hiring influencers. Sometimes for pile. So, if these influencers are fulfilling a commercial need, aren't they, by definition, commercial photographers?

The C1 and C1 Plus

The new Profoto C1s are configured to comprise used with smartphone cameras. The C1 Plus, while also deliberate to be used with smartphones, are harmonious with Profoto Air TTL so that you can swap in your DSLR if your smartphone isn't up to the job (If you wondered why my voice sounds gravelly, I'm choking on some of those words). The Profoto Clic is a New range of light-shaping tools (grids and gels etc.) that can represent old with the C1 tune.

The C1 line is just available for pre-order. At this point in that respect International Relations and Security Network't some independent testing available. There are, however, a lot of advertorials available on YouTube. I've reviewed the specs for the C1 and a few things are a bit murky. The biggest issue I have is that the power is quoted in lumens, which makes nonstop comparison with other flashes or with their direct competitor, the Godox A1, more than difficult.

The C1 is rated at 1600 lumens. Whereas the Godox is rated at 8 Isaac Watts. I'd likewise note that the Profoto can constitute used as a video light, whereas the modeling light on the Godox seems to follow almost futile for that purpose. Last, the Profoto has changeable color temperature controls that exceed those of the Godox, at least based on the eyeglasses.

I also find it interesting that Godox has had its A1 happening the market for sometime. I'm sure as shootin that Godox is willing that Profoto is finally playing catch-up. Given that Profoto was so indignant that Godox "copied" the Profoto A1 to make up the V1, I'm curious how both Profoto and Godox feel almost the horseshoe beingness on the other foot.

If anyone wants to talk of pricing, the advertorials published connected YouTube are round of comments expressing shock at the cost of the Profoto versus Godox lights. $299 for the Profoto and $59.95 for the Godox! For smartphone lights!

Is There a Market For The Profoto's C1

$299 is much of money for midget lights that will be mainly old for smartphones. Perchance though, I'm still missing the boat. Later on all, those that refused to see the rise of SLRs, those that refused to see the rise of digital certainly did. The intro line to the Profoto video feels like it could rich person been section of Kodak's Brownie ads, Leica's first rangefinder ads, or, more recently, Canon's D30 ads.

Smartphones changed everything. Suddenly everyone could capture images anytime anyplace. Everyone was a lensman.

If smartphones are the coming, we might look endorse on the C1s and A1s as pioneers.

A Little Comment on Brandon Woelfel

The photographer in the C1 video, Brandon Woelfel, recently published a YouTube video discussing his gear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xRkiLxG1KM

Helium shows off his Nikon Z 7 and Nikon D850. He also spends a decent amount of time talking about his (truly) fast field glass. A series of Nikkor 1.4 lenses. I really don't see how using such impressive Methedrine integrates into a workflow that uses smartphones and the C1 line. The difference in character and enduringness just won't be the same as his other gear.

As Woelfel explains, his glass can cater

...so much a distinct look.

In my ruling, all of his gear produces a distinct appear. Including his use of a smartphone. I'm non a fan of relying on a smartphone to get the job done, but, if there isn't' that kind of pressure, why not?  A smartphone ass seize a stellar shot, but, when the chips are down, the more forward-looking gear that Woelfel uses really will serve a pro much amended.

Conclusion Thinking

I speculate I shouldn't personify surprised. The rising slope of influencer merchandising and culture agency that there is money to be ready-made in serving this niche (If you wondered why my voice calm down sounds so gravelly, I'm still having disoblige with some of those words). Influencer culture often relies on luxurious hotels, planes, cars, vesture, food... so, why not equipment? Why non position a newfound product as a luxury exclusive the best influencers would purpose?

What do you mean? Take hold on, let me scram my popcorn first...

Profoto's C1 Line: Who Are They Targeting?

Source: https://fstoppers.com/business/profotos-c1-line-who-are-they-targeting-408168

Posting Komentar untuk "Profoto's C1 Line: Who Are They Targeting?"